[apple-iphone] Re: Updated OS is a really big problem

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 4:37 AM By Livemail

 

<<So: what have you tries so far?>>

How long have you got? A Reset is not going to reclaim totally-erased data (the backup had run with the SYNC that preceded my discovering the data loss). Spent four (FOUR) hours yesterday on phone with my provider's Customer Services then with Apple - the last three hours with an Apple expert, not the front guys on the helpline. Issues not totally resolved but I have a way to clean the Calendar now. Stability of Notes probably sorted, but I still have to search backups, old files (on the whole computer backup system which I do run regularly) to see if there is any chance of finding my lost Notes, cos they ain't anywhere in the iTunes setup.

Personally, after yesterday's session (the guy was very helpful and painstaking which has taught me a heck of a lot about the iPhone) I would think that the coding system of the software may be a problem. I well recall that Microsoft, years ago, changed the coding beteween Outlook 2002 and 2003 (was it from ANSI to UNICODE or the other way round). The files were completely trashed or unusable in some cases
if you inadvertently (which I did) put a 2003 file into a 2002 Outlook. My current organiser files have been through EPOC (when I used a Psion aeons ago), Outlook 2002, Outlook 2003, an HP iPAQ and now an iPhone backing up to Outlook. Nevertheless, this does not explain the total loss of Notes quite recently written, and written in plain text.

I salute the Apple guy I spoke with - my ear was sore after several hours on the phone and the computer! Now am working through the whole lot to resolve (and find) my data (and he asked me to report back to him). The comment in another message about disabling Spotlight is correct - this may be part of the issues I gather

Nick Hudd

--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@...> wrote:
>
> > It is time to state clearly that that upgrade of my iPhone 3G to v 4 software >has made a complete mess of its functioning.
>
>
> What have you tried to fix your problems?
>
> Reset the phone by holding <Home> and <On/Off> buttons until the Apple appears, then let it complete the reset cycle.
>
> or
>
> Settings > Reset > Reset All Settings
>
> or
>
> Connect to iTunes, "Restore as New", then carefully re-instal the various Apps, music, etc. from scratch.
>
> So: what have you tries so far?
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@...
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment